This holiday season has been one of the most anticipated after being confined due to the Covid -19 health crisis. Even so, staying away from home to go on holiday is still a matter of concern.
Data from insurance companies and the police confirm that around 40% of thefts in homes take place in summer, therefore, the best we can do for our peace of mind is to implement actions that minimize the possibility of theft in our homes.
FORCADELL CONSULTING offers 5 tips to secure your home and deter would-be intruders from breaking in while you’re away on holiday:
1. Install an alarm with connection to a central station. Its use has become widespread in recent years, so prices have become much more accessible. Also, some telephone companies work with security companies to offer alarm systems included in their telephone and internet product packages. Today there are plenty of home security options for every budget and every level of protection.
2. Secure lighting at night. Use motion activated lights, putting them on a timer, so that lights turn on and off at specific times of your choosing.
3. Check the condition of the locks, making sure they are in perfect condition. Do not forget to also close the windows to make sure that all accesses to the house are completely closed. Doors and windows are the most common entry points for burglars.
4. Do not leave valuables that can be seen from outside your home, make sure that they are protected. An in-home safe is a secure depository for everything from jewelry to vital documents like passports.
5. And finally, try not to post information about your holidays on social media, to avoid giving information about your travels to potential burglars. It also may be a good idea to disable geolocation of mobile devices and applications. Your home wireless network is a doorway to your personal and financial information.
The rest are the usual guidelines: ask a trusted neighbour to collect the mail so that it does not pile up in your mailbox or divert calls to your mobile, since nothing shouts out more clearly there is no one home that a phone that won’t not stop ringing.
We must also keep up-to-date with our home insurance and know what it covers, although it does not prevent theft, it can compensate us for our losses and help us follow the steps to file a complaint in the event of theft in our home.
It all adds when getting ready to pack your bags and starting one of the most anticipated vacations in the last years. Forcadell Consultancy’s own insurance brokerage, SegurForTeam and its professionals will offer you tailored advice and can help clear any doubts about your options when choosing your home security.